This blog has been set up to record the restoration of Ashgrove, which was devastated by fire in August 2007.
Please add comments of encouragement (or even suggestions for the colour of the walls, carpets, tiles, furniture....!!)

Thursday, 30 August 2007


Ashgrove suffered a devastating fire on 30th August 2007.

The fire started in the lounge bay. I was stripping the paintwork when a spark was fanned by a strong wind and set the lounge curtains on fire. The fire spread quickly to the lounge and hallway.

The heat was intense, and even where there was no fire it was hot enough to melt plastic. Even Celia's car keys and mobile phone which were on the fridge in the kitchen melted.

Smoke damaged the contents of every room.

Fortunately Celia and I escaped with only minor burns.